Basu Community Rural Development Organization (BACORUDO) started in 2009 with 14 members spearheaded by Eugene Bwambale Africano. It is located in Kemango village, Munkunyu sub-county, Kasese district, western Uganda, about 500 km away from Kampala, the Uganda’s capital City.
To be the leading self-reliant, integral and holistic community in the region catering for the social welfare and general development of the people in Kasese.
We commit to;-
- Providing essential social services to the people especially the suffering, the needy and the oppressed.
- Contributing to Uganda’s economic development through initiatives of socio-economic projects like village saving & credit scheme in the region.
Goals and Objectives
- To eradicate and alleviate biting poverty among the people of Kasese.
- To provide essential health and hygienic services to the sick and the suffering people in the area.
- To boost the economic power of the people in the area.
- To resettle the affected homes & families from the psychological upsets, trauma and atrocities from the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF rebels) insurgency from 1996-2001.
- To sensitize the people on the major developmental issues through workshops, seminars and conferences.
From 1996-2001, there was an Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) insurgency that left many people in Kasese, Bundibugyo, Kabarole, Kyenjojo, Kyaka and Kabarole districts homeless, helpless, displaced, dead and even loss of property worth of millions of Ugandan shillings.
As much as the government and United Nations, World Food Organization and others intervened in the resettlement of the internally displaced people in the refugee camps, it still haunted the minds of those who left refugee camps. Currently, many people have lost hope. Some have been traumatized; others suffered from brutalities, rape and defilement. Consequently, there has been a problem of insane living and despair. Coupled with the rampant biting poverty among our people whereby a person is not able to earn more than one dollar (1 US $) per day, it has worsened the situation. Our people are now suffering so much living at a cross-road –life style; not knowing what will follow next. There are no good social services offered to them. Many more people lack a lot of needs and hence surrender to God.
Besides the above , the most rampant felt- needs and problems are; lack of safe and clean drinking water, diseases like HIV/AIDS, poor hygienic and health services( no health center in the vicinity), poor school infrastructure, poor and seasonal roads, poor housing ( grass thatched huts). It is in this line, that we have advocated for a social action to solve the above problems with you and other stakeholders. We have greater hope that some of these problems can be done away as we have a good experience of four (4) years.